To build trust, your decision making should be predictable.
To build trust, your decision making should be transparent.
To build trust, you want to get your team and you peers on a field trip into the meanders of your brain.
You want to invite everyone around into your brain so they understand what to expect from you.
There are several ways to codify your decision making process, or your decision making principles.
One interesting way I saw formulated by James Trunk (VP of Engineering, Griffin) is “I normally prefer X over Y.”
Following on this, I put together my own decision making principles. Welcome to my brain:
- Cost effective over cheap
- Long-term over short-term
- Doing over planning (now over later)
- Data over opinion
- Big picture over small details
- Learning over stagnation
- Transparency over secrets
- Trust over micromanagement
- Systematic over manual